Winter Holiday Trivia Game
1. How many ghosts are there in Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol?
2. What December holiday is known as “The Festival of Lights”?
3. What African American holiday’s name is based on the year-end harvest festivals in Africa?
4. What is Boxing Day?
5. How long does Hanukkah last?
6. What is Kwanzaa?
7. What is Santa Claus’s name in Italian?
8. What does “Hanukkah” mean in Hebrew?
9. How many reindeer does Santa Claus have? (Extra credit: What are their names?)
10. What is the best-selling holiday song of all time?
1. There are four: Jacob Marley, Ebenezer Scrooge’s business partner; the Ghost of Christmas Past; the Ghost of Christmas Present; and the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.
3. Kwanzaa. Its name comes from the Swahili phrase matunda ya kwanzaa, which means “first fruits” of the harvest.
4. Boxing Day is a British holiday celebrated on December 26. Historians say that it was created because servants worked Christmas Day but took off the following day. As the servants prepared to leave, their employers would give them gifts in boxes.
5. Hanukkah begins at sundown and lasts for eight days and nights during the month of December.
6. Created in 1966, Kwanzaa is a holiday to celebrate ancient African cultures and inspire African Americans working for progress.
7. Babbo Natale.
8. Dedication. After years of fighting, the Maccabees (leaders of the Jewish rebellion) reclaimed a temple and rededicated it. The oil they used to light the temple, which was only a one-day supply, burned for eight days.
9. Santa has nine reindeer, including the most famous, Rudolph! The others are: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen.
10. “White Christmas,” written by Irving Berlin and recorded by Bing Crosby. Various versions of the song have sold more than 100 million copies around the world.