Share a Poem in Your Pocket
April is National Poetry Month. To help celebrate, April 26 is Poem in Your Pocket Day. All across the country, poems from pockets will be unfolded at events in parks, libraries, schools, and bookstores. You can join in on the excitement too! Simply select your poem (it can be one you’ve written or borrowed from your favorite poet), type or write it on a paper, fold it, and hold it in your pocket, then share it with your friends and family!
There are many other ways you can get involved, such as:
- Post pocket-size verses of poems on school bulletin board or in a place of business (make sure to get permission first).
- Handwrite poetry lines on the back of an index card or a bookmark to hand out to others.
- Start a street team to pass out poems in your neighborhood or community.
- Post a poem on your blog or social networking page.
- Text a poem to a friend or family member.
- Organize a poetry reading with your Girl Scout group, at your school, or in your community.
Poetry is best when shared! Poem in Your Pocket Day is the perfect way to surprise your friends and family with the gift of poetry.