Juliette Gordon Low Birthday Quiz
Happy Birthday, Daisy! October 31 marks Juliette Gordon Low’s special day. On this day in 1860, Juliette Magill Kinzie Gordon (nicknamed “Daisy” by her family and friends) was born in Savannah, Georgia. Find out how well you know our founder by reading these five facts and figuring out which one is false:
1. Juliette was a talented artist who became a skilled painter and sculptor.
2. Daisy was the second of five children.
3. One of Daisy’s special skills was standing on her head. She stood on her head every year on her birthday to prove she could still do it, and also celebrated nieces’ and nephews’ birthdays by standing on her head.
4. She had many pets throughout her life and was particularly fond of exotic birds, Georgia mockingbirds, and dogs.
5. Juliette was an inventor. In 1912, she took out a patent for a “Pluto Bag,” a trash can for liquids.
Answer: Number 2 is false: Daisy was the second of six children. Everything else is true!
Girl Scouts worldwide will be celebrating Daisy’s birthday with numerous celebrations and events. What will you or your group do? Perhaps these thoughts from our CEO Anna Maria Chávez will inspire you: “What a life she led. Daisy Low was a visionary, and she remains an inspiration to me and to so many of us in Girl Scouting. All of us in the Girl Scout Movement owe Daisy Low a debt of gratitude, and I know that the vision she had for the girls of Savannah, and all of America, and all the world lives on in all of us who carry Girl Scouting forward into a new century.”